Back in the days, food storage was not much of a concern. However, with the current busy lifestyle, cooking gurus are often left with no choice – except to resort to this method. When it comes to food preservation, one common problem is that dishes often lose their original flavor – or even develop bacteria after being put in a freezer for a while. To counteract this, a vacuum sealers is one of your best bets.
For those who are looking for the best vacuum sealer America’s Test Kitchen, we’ve got you covered. Below, you will find a list of the top 7 picks – each comes with a full analysis of their features.
Cook’s Illustrated & America’s Test Kitchen Best Vacuum Sealers Review
#1. America’s Test Kitchen: NutriChef Automatic Vacuum Sealer
NutriChef Vacuum Sealer is definitely a great pick for hunters in search of a high-quality, yet reasonably priced product – it comes with an automatic power plug, central control, touch-sensitive buttons and a convenient LED indicator, all of which contributes to a much more relaxing cooking experience. There are two modes for users to choose from – including a dry one for solid foods, and a moist one for steamed foods; this makes sure that whatever dishes you plan to prepare for your family are no problem at all.
Compared to conventional bags, NutriChef sealer is 5 times better in terms of bacterial prevention. For long term food storage, this is one of the best vacuum sealers. In addition to the vacuum sealer and air straw, the set also includes a wine cork, 5 vacuum bags and 1 reusable vacuum bag roll.
- Simple to use, newbie-friendly.
- More flexibility with 2 modes available.
- Great food preservation capability.
- Lightweight and compact for easier storage.
- Some consumer reports say that getting the bag top to close and seal properly may be difficult.
#2. FoodSaver FM5200 2 in 1 Automatic Vacuum Sealer
Another amazing pick in terms of food storage! With the capability to keep foods fresh for up to 3 years, FM5200 definitely deserves a high-ranking position in the best vacuum sealer list. What’s more – the product comes with a bonus heat-sealing bar, which is capable of immediately preparing bags and making the bag-making process significantly simpler.
The transparent window allows users to properly seal – as well as know when to change the roll. Not to mention, a LED indicator is available, so you may better keep track of the heat. Thanks to the dual seal strips, you can be rest assured that foods will be kept in a completely safe, impenetrable environment. Last but not least, FM5200 is designed to react to changes in moisture and changes mode accordingly.
- Great for long-term food storage.
- Easier bag making.
- Airtight sealing.
- Moisture detection technology.
- Somehow expensive.
- Needs some additional empty space (about 3 inches) at the bag’s top.
#3. Foodsaver FSFSSL2244-000 V2244 Vacuum Sealer
Just like FM5200, V2244 is capable of preserving food for up to 3 years – and still retaining the original freshness. The whole thing comes with a special bag design, which results in the ability to store food up to 5 times longer than conventional storage bags.
V2244 features a LED indicator for new users to better get used to the sealing process. Unlike many other sealers, this one does not need as many modes of operation. In fact, its patented drip tray will automatically detect overflow liquid.
As an ETL / UL certified product that meets strict international safety standards, V2244 is definitely one of the best vacuum cleaners you can invest in. The full set includes a seal roll, 5 seal bags, as well as 1 accessory hose.
- Able to keep food fresh for very long.
- Simple to use.
- Suitable for both dry and wet foods.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Compatible with many accessories.
- Sealing instructions are not very detailed.
#4. KOIOS 80Kpa Automatic Vacuum Sealer
If you think FM5200 and V2244 are impressive enough for long-term food storage, wait until you get your hands on KOIOS vacuum sealer. With the ability to retain food freshness for up to 7 years, this one is definitely worth the investment – especially if you live in a larger family that needs to frequently stock up on food.
Another key selling point is the amazing heat resistance – which, thanks to the featured mica sheet at the bottom pad, is capable of reaching as high as 3000F. On busier days when you need to package a bunch of foods, this vacuum sealer is capable of sealing 40 times continuously. With an extra sealing wire (up to 11.8 inches), users can deal with numerous packages at the same time for maximum efficiency.
- Amazingly long-term food storage.
- Heat resistance.
- Vacuum pumping for quicker packaging.
- Lightweight, compact.
- High suction.
- Not very good for foods with lots of juices (e.g: beef). If necessary, free such foods before sealing.
#5. Mueller Automatic Vacuum Sealer
Mueller vacuum sealer comes with an automatic electric plug – in combination with a control center, touch-sensitive buttons, as well as a LED indicator. All of these should provide you with everything necessary for a convenient food preparation experience. With 2 modes – dry and wet – to choose from, you can easily adjust the setting as you deem essential for different types of food.
As one of the best vacuum sealers, Mueller is subjected to rigorous quality-testing before release. The product is capable of preserving food for 5 times longer than traditional storage bags. In addition to the sealer and suction hose, the package also includes 5 vacuum bags, 1 bag roll – both of which are water-resistant and reusable.
- Amazing bacteria and fungus prevention.
- Durable ABS material.
- Airtight sealing.
- Lightweight, easy to use.
- The buttons are a little too sensitive according to consumer reports.
- Vacuum pump may stop running if you wish to seal the bag before it’s finished properly.
#6. The Best Countertop Vacuum Sealer: NESCO VS-12 Vacuum Sealer
NESCO VS-12 is even more versatile compared to the above-mentioned picks. It is designed with 3 sealing settings – particularly, moist, dry, and double. Not to mention, in terms of vacuum pressure, you can either choose to go with the Regular or Gentle option depending on the type of food that needs to be preserved. For softer ones, the Gentle option should prove to work wonders.
The vacuum sealer has everything necessary to make the sealing process as convenient as possible – including a bag cutter and a roll storing compartment. It has enough space to store a width bag as wide as 11.8 inches. Thanks to the double-heat sealing, foods should be kept completely secure from outer environmental damage.
- Improved durability thanks to the featured double-line sealing.
- Locked handle for an automatic sealing process.
- 3 sealing settings and 2 pressure settings.
- Features an additional vacuum pump.
- You may find it to be a little bit noisy while using.
- Sometimes, it may stop abruptly – and you have to wait a little bit before everything restarts.
#7. The Best Handheld Vacuum Sealer: Gourmia GVS9945 Vacuum Sealer
Let’s move on to the last – but not least – pick in this best vacuum sealer list. Gourmia GVS9945 is the perfect vacuum sealer for sous vide cooking – which is the perfect method if you want to prepare flavor-rich dishes. Whether it is for meat processing, for fish, for salmon or whatever, this one should deliver the optimum cooking results – in a very convenient and user-friendly way.
Aside from the sealer, the whole set also contains 5 reusable bags, 1 sealing and 2 cooking clips – all of which are made from high-qualtiy, BPA-free plastic. This ensures that there is no risk for your family’s health – as well as no long-term damage to the environment. What’s more, the bags are reusable, and they are all perfectly sized for carrying around on trips and picnics.
- A full kitchen kit with a total of 9 pieces.
- Simple operation.
- Environmental friendly.
- Lightweight, compact.
- The bags are a little bit difficult to clean and require a few scrubbings.
- Not very good for juicy foods.
How to choose the best vacuum sealer
Vacuum sealers are often divided into 2 types: Chamber (Commercial) and External. The former are generally created for – obviously – commercial uses – while the latter is usually for household use. Before making a purchase, consider your sealing frequency first. If you don’t need to do it too frequently, a chamber sealer is not necessary – rather, just stick to a hand-held one. On the other hand, if you need to vacuum seal on a daily basis, you may want to change your choice accordingly.
Other factors that also need to be taken into consideration include
- Ability to seal continuously without the risk of overheating.
- Whether you need to seal juicy foods frequently.
- Accessories featured.
From the analysis above, you should be able to figure out which option best serves your purpose.
1. Why should I consider buying a vacuum sealer?
Food preservation is not the only reason for you to consider vacuum sealing. In fact, there are many other perks that will surely tempt you to do so:
- It enables the perfect results for sous vide cooking.
- It provides a bulk storage method for highly perishable foods.
- It helps you store dry ingredients in canning jars – which can be opened and resealed within seconds.
- It allows you to reseal chip bags quickly.
- It is the perfect way to reseal wine bottles.
2. Do all vacuum sealers use the same bags?
It is a common misconception that all vacuum sealers are suitable for sealing all types of foods and household stuffs. The truth is – such universal compatibility is non-existent. Please read the instructions to find out if the bags are compatible with the sealer.
3. What types of food are suitable for vacuum sealing?
Whether it is for meat processing, for fish, for salmon or whatever, using vacuum sealers is always a worthy choice. However, there are a few exceptions – for example, vacuum sealing is generally not recommended for mushrooms, garlic, as well as some types of cheeses. The reason is that such foods often have anaerobic bacteria – these are known to thrive when living in environments such as vacuum pouches.
On the other hand, vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. should be blanched before vacuum sealing – so as to slow down the production of decaying enzymes.
Use vacuum sealer machine
Vacuum sealing has become a hot trend for cooking gurus these days – especially for busier ones who can’t afford to spend too much time on shopping and preparing meals. There are numerous benefits when it comes to vacuum sealing – that’s why we’ve compiled this list to help you choose the best vacuum sealer that fits your needs and budget.
All of the 7 picks above are chosen based on previous buying and testing experience. As long as you study their features carefully, we’re sure you should be able to figure out which to invest in.
Wish you the best of luck on your journey to cooking perfection!
- 1 Cook’s Illustrated & America’s Test Kitchen Best Vacuum Sealers Review
- 1.1 #1. America’s Test Kitchen: NutriChef Automatic Vacuum Sealer
- 1.2 #2. FoodSaver FM5200 2 in 1 Automatic Vacuum Sealer
- 1.3 #3. Foodsaver FSFSSL2244-000 V2244 Vacuum Sealer
- 1.4 #4. KOIOS 80Kpa Automatic Vacuum Sealer
- 1.5 #5. Mueller Automatic Vacuum Sealer
- 1.6 #6. The Best Countertop Vacuum Sealer: NESCO VS-12 Vacuum Sealer
- 1.7 #7. The Best Handheld Vacuum Sealer: Gourmia GVS9945 Vacuum Sealer
- 2 How to choose the best vacuum sealer
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion