Anyone fascinated with cooking should agree that a hand mixer constitutes an irreplaceable part in one’s kitchen collection. No matter if it is mixing, whipping, blending, or beating — this little tool is necessary to serve your purpose. With the availability of numerous models and brands these days, figuring out which option is worth the investment may prove to be somehow tricky. That’s the reason why people have been relying on guides on pages such as Cooks Illustrated and Serious Eats for more information.
To make things easier for you, we’ve compiled this guide – below, you shall find 7 of the best hand mixers America’s Test Kitchen, each of which come with a detailed feature analysis. On top of that, there’s a buying guide to provide some useful tips and address some common issues that you may encounter on your cooking journey.
Reviews of Best Hand Mixers America’s Test Kitchen
#1. KitchenAid KHM7210OB Hand Mixer
KitchenAid KHM7210OB is just one of the best hand mixers in terms of versatility – thanks to the 7-speed setting, you can freely adjust the speed based on the specific type of food. Speed 1 is meant for chunky ingredients; Speed 4 is for mashed potatoes, and Speed 7 is for fluffy stuff such as egg whites or cream. What’s more, the product comes with a Soft Start function, which allows users to change the speed without the risk of food splattering.
The hand mixer’s handle is ergonomic enough to make you feel comfortable while preparing food. In addition, you can remove any redundant accessory easily by simply pressing the button on the product. When all is done, no need to worry about cleaning – for it’s pretty easy to clean the round cord.
- Stainless steel material for long-lasting durability and beauty.
- 7-speed setting for maximum flexibility.
- Soft Start for better speed adjustments.
- Ergonomic handle and lightweight design for unmatched convenience.
- The controller is a little bit difficult to use according to some consumer reports.
#2. Cuisinart HM-90S Handheld Mixer
Cuisinart HM-90S operates on a 220-watt setting – in combination with automatic feedback. Thanks to the low start feature, the risk of food splattering is reduced to its minimum. No matter what type of dishes you are preparing – egg whites, bread dough, batters, etc. – this should get you covered. Once you are done with mixing, cleaning the product should not be too problematic – just leave it to the dishwasher, and go on enjoying your day.
Thanks to the snap-on case, you can conveniently store the mixer wherever you feel appropriate. The whole set includes not only a hand mixer, but also additional accessories – beaters, whisk, spatula, hooks.
- High-quality, BPA-free Chrome-plated material.
- Easy on/off with a single button press.
- 9-speed setting for better versatility.
- SmoothStart function to avoid the risk of food splattering.
- Compact storage case for more convenience.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Consumer reports have stated that the storage case is not very securely affixed.
#3. KitchenAid KHM512CL Hand Mixer
Anyone looking for a professional hand mixer should not be disappointed with KitchenAid KHM512CL. It is one of the best hand mixers for mashed potatoes, cookie dough, and so on. The whole thing comes with a 5-speed setting and turbo beaters, which make it the perfect choice for a variety of recipes. When it comes to chunky ingredients such as nuts or chips, go with Speed one – for fluffy stuff such as egg whites or cream, go with Speed five.
The stainless steel component not only extends the product’s lifespan, but also makes it possible to deal with heavier ingredients. What’s more, it also allows you to clean the product using a dishwasher. For the round cord, you can easily clean it using a wiping towel.
- Lockable cord and ejector button for great maneuverability.
- Numerous speeds for the most optimal mixing results.
- Soft Start function for risk-free speed adjustments.
- Stainless steel material for amazing durability.
- Dishwasher safe.
- 1-year warranty policy.
- The beater is not very durable – especially if it is subjected to daily usage.
4. BLACK+DECKER MX600B Hand Mixer
The first selling point that makes BLACK+DECKER MX600B one of the best hand mixers is the featured Helix Beaters – which double the performance of ordinary mixers! Whatever you’ve got – be it batters, toppings, or dough – the product should provide you with an optimum mixing result.
One more feature that significantly boosts this one’s performance is the double surface area – this means that the mixer can come in contact more with food, and users have much more control over the ingredients. With 5 speeds to choose from, you can adjust the setting based on the specific type of food for optimal results. Not to mention, the Turbo Boost function is there to ensure consistency and allow you to adjust the setting with little risk of messes.
With the beaters made from reinforced nylon, MX600B is capable of not only lasting for long, but also dealing with tougher stuff. The whole set is comprised of 2 beaters, 2 dough hooks, as well as a wire whisk.
- Helix Beaters for more efficiency.
- Doubled surface area for better control.
- High-quality material for increased durability.
- 5-speed setting and Turbo Boost for better versatility.
- The mixing arms are made from plastic, which may disappoint some cooking gurus.
5. Cuisinart Hand Mixer HM-70BSLT
For mashed potatoes, cookie dough, bread, etc., Cuisinart Hand Mixer HM-70BSLT is a perfect pick in terms of ensuring consistent mixing results – without melting. Thanks to the 220-watt setting, the item boasts a great power advantage compared to similar ones. On top of that, 7 speed options are available, and a digital reader is there for newbies to get used to changing power quickly.
Cuisinart HM-70BSLT comes with the Soft Start feature – which allows users to start slowly and avoid splattering food. What’s more, it also has a tiny trigger that helps you eject the beaters with ease.
- More power advantage thanks to the 220-watt setting.
- Stainless steel component for increased durability and long-lasting beauty.
- 7-speed setting for both chunky and fluffy foods.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Ergonomic handle for acceptable maneuverability.
- Retro 50’s style.
- Attachments are interchangeable with those of other Cuisinart mixers.
- Not very suitable for foods such as creaming butter and batters.
6. BLACK+DECKER Hand Mixer, MX3200B
Another one that comes with a power advantage – this time, it’s 250 watt! BLACK+DECKER MX3200B is capable of tackling a multitude of recipes – including batters, dough, toppings, etc. With 6 speed options to choose from, you can be rest assured about consistency in every mixing result. In case you need to switch quickly to the highest speed, take advantage of the Turbo Boost to get it done – efficiently!
BLACK+DECKER MX3200B ensures that there is little risk of spraying – this is achievable as long as you make use of the Soft Start function. Thanks to the mixer’s design, its heel should be conveniently placed on the bowl – which makes mixing a much more convenient experience. With a total of 5 additional attachments – 2 beaters, 2 dough hooks, along with a whisk – this truly deserves to be called one of the best hand mixers.
- Power advantage.
- Suitable for a variety of recipes.
- Simple cleaning and use.
- 5 attachments for a professional hand mixer set.
- Easy ejection.
- Turbo Boost for improved performance.
- Soft Start function to reduce the risk of splattering.
- The plastic may disappoint stricter users.
7. Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer
Let’s move on to the last – yet not least – pick in our best hand mixer guide. No matter what baking recipe you’ve got to handle, this one should get you covered all – thanks to the 6 speed options available. What’s more, you can take advantage of the QuickBurst function to … well, get a quick burst in speed if necessary.
Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer’s power peak is 250-watt – just like the MX3200B we discussed above. On top of that, the whole thing comes with a built-in groove; hence, you can rest the mixer on the bowl while mixing food. In addition, this feature also helps prevent splattering.
- 6 speed options for easy mixing.
- QuickBurst feature.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Bowl rest design to prevent spraying.
- Snap-on case for convenient storage.
- The storage container is a little bit difficult to close.
Overall, for those looking for the best hand mixer, it is generally a wise choice to consider notable brands such as KitchenAid, BLACK + DECKER, and Cuisinart. Before making a purchase, don’t forget to do a little bit of testing to see if your desired product is really capable of handling various types of food – including egg whites, cream, batter, icing, dough, etc. Some metrics to consider include:
- What is the material of the mixer? Is it durable enough?
- How universally functional is it?
- What is the mixer’s power? Is it possible to adjust the speed easily? How many speed options are there?
- Is the mixer easy to be cleaned and stored?
- Is the price worth it?
As mentioned above, some sets come with additional attachments such as dough hooks – this allows them to serve a variety of purposes. Some may even include storage cases to store things in one single place.
Is a hand mixer worth it?
Yes – a hand mixer is one cookware that you will definitely want to add to your collection. Overall, an average one should cost only about $30.
For those who enjoy preparing food by hand, a hand mixer is still a worthwhile consideration – especially when you are too tired or busy to prepare meals in a manual way. Saving time, better mixing efficiency, etc. are just a few benefits of having one in your kitchen.
What is better – a hand mixer or a stand mixer?
Below is a quick comparison between these two options:
A hand mixer is generally small, portable, easy to store. Not to mention, it is more simple to use – and generally costs less too. On the other hand, the downside is that you cannot pause while mixing – and the time necessary to mix foods is usually longer.
A stand mixer offers better speed and power – this makes it a useful tool for preparing several big dishes at the same time. In exchange, it is pretty heavy, costs more, and requires enough space in the room to store.
How many watts make a good hand mixer?
Typically, the power range of most good hand mixers is from 200-250 watts. If you are frequently dealing with thinner stuff, one from 200-225 watts is usually enough.
For cooking gurus as well as those who just love preparing food casually from time to time, a high-quality, easy-to-use hand mixer should provide a solid start. Whether you wish to enjoy your favorite cookie dough, or give more difficult recipes a try, you will definitely appreciate the value of a mixer.
The 7 options discussed above are chosen based on years of testing several models. Hence, you can be rest assured that they are among the best hand mixers in terms of both price and utility.
- 1 Reviews of Best Hand Mixers America’s Test Kitchen
- 2 Buying guide
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion